Sport for Inclusion (SPIN) is a joint initiative of European organisations aiming to combat the social inequalities stemming from disadvantaged backgrounds of young citizens. Sport is a highly appealing social activity that can break down walls between young people of different origins, backgrounds and physical abilities. The power of sport and physical activity can contribute to tackling social inequalities, exclusion and lack of opportunities and SPINs aims to capitalize on this opportunity through the methodology of Education through Sport.
The main objectives of the Sport for Inclusion (SPIN) project are:
- Provide opportunities for young people with fewer opportunities through sport-based non-formal education and foster their inclusion through sport activities
- Raise awareness on issues related to social exclusion, lack of opportunities and disability and transfer fundamental European values of solidarity and inclusion through sport and physical activity
- Develop young people’s soft skills and competences to become more active, sporty and health-conscious Europeans citizens
- To empower young people through sport as a tool to strengthen tolerance and respect of human rights, inciting active civic participation against discrimination and social exclusion.
- Make young people advocates of healthy and active living in their local communities and instil them sense of European citizenship
- To raise social awareness about disability and transfer the common fundamental values of our society, educating young people to champion a more cohesive European society.
As the main activity of the project a 7-days long youth exchange will be organized in Pilismarót, Hungary between 31 July and 6 August. A total of 36 participants, aged between 17 and 26, will discover together how can sport mitigate challenges related to social exclusion and lack of opportunities. The target group of SPIN involves young people with fewer opportunities, especially those with physical disabilities or youngsters from diverse cultural backgrounds or with economic difficulties, geographical obstacles.
As tangible outputs, participants will create a video-book with instructions of the activities implemented and develop a set of social entrepreneurial projects to disseminate the approach implemented during the project as a model to actively contribute to solve the social exclusion problem, benefiting local communities and institutions, influencing political authorities and decision-makers at local, regional, national and European level.