The “Be Active, Be Healthy!” project is a joint initiative of European youth and sport organisations aiming to combat low physical activity rates, sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy nutrition of young European citizens. The project represents the continuation of successful youth initiatives and European projects promoting wellbeing, social inclusion and active citizenship through sport. The project aims to promote principles of solidarity, tolerance and mutual understanding this way also fostering inclusion of young people with fewer opportunities. With “Be Active, Be Healthy!” we would also like to reflect on the 11 European Youth Goals, which recognises the importance of well-being
among young people.
The main objectives of the project:
- Raise awareness of the importance of healthy and active living among young Europeans;
- Develop young people’s knowledge on Health Enhancing Physical Activity (HEPA), healthy nutrition and sport-based volunteering;
- Develop young people’s skills and competences to become more health-conscious and active European citizens;
- Make young people advocates of healthy and active living in their local communities;
- Introduce the EU sport policy goals and the European Week of Sport (EWoS), thus bringing closer EU sport policy to young people;
- Provide opportunities for young people with fewer opportunities through sport-based non-formal education.
As the main activity of the project a youth exchange was realised in Budapest, Hungary during the European Week of Sport 2019. The methodology of the youth exchange is Education through Sport (ETS) which aims to develop key competencies in various aspects of life using sport and physical activity. As the main outcome, participants are expected to become catalysts of positive change in their local communities, promoting higher involvement and participation in regular sport activities and better knowledge of healthy living and nutrition.
The Be Active, Be Healthy! project was funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.